Health Canada collects data on cannabis under the Cannabis Tracking System Ministerial Order. The Order and the Cannabis Act came into force on October 17, 2018. Data collected by Health Canada under the Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations (ACMPR) is available in archived format. Additional cannabis data is available on the Cannabis research and data page.
Data collected is for these types of cannabis in the legal industry:
- dried cannabis
- cannabis oil
- cannabis plants
- cannabis seeds
Data for all categories includes:
- medical sales
- non-medical sales
- finished inventory
- unfinished inventory
- cultivation area
Figures provided in this update reflect the data reported through the Cannabis Tracking System. Verification and validation of this data is ongoing. As such, the data is subject to revision.
- As part of its continuous effort to improve access to data, Health Canada is making the following additional dried cannabis and cannabis oil data available:
- unfinished production
- finished production (quantity packaged)
- Between January 1 and March 31, 2019, total sales of dried cannabis increased to 16,448 kilograms from 15,429 kilograms between October 17 and December 31, 2018. Likewise, cannabis oil sales increased to 8,372 litres from 6,829 litres during the same period.
- Between January 1 and March 31, 2019, finished production (quantity packaged) of dried cannabis increased to 35,621 kilograms from 34,543 kilograms packaged between October 17 and December 31, 2018. Similarly, finished production of cannabis oil increased to 45,721 litres from 40,481 litres during the previous quarter.
- Total inventory of finished dried cannabis (packaged and labelled) held by cultivators, processors, distributors and retailers stood at 30,802 kilograms at the end of March 2019, compared to 18,940 kilograms at the end of December 2018. Finished cannabis oil inventories totalled 62,188 litres compared to 39,760 litres at the end of December 2018.
- Active cultivation area increased to 697,553 square metres in March 2019 from 569,466 square metres in December 2018.
- By the end of March 2019, the unfinished inventory of plants held by federal licence holders increased to 3,774,147 from 2,252,131 at the end of December 2018.